Saturday, March 9, 2013

Secret Garden Card

I had a nice relaxing day of scrapbooking this wonderful Saturday. 

I decided to do a tutorial based off of the ABC Primer Card I recently made.  Hope this gives you an idea of my process for making this type of card.  It really is simple, you just have to be willing to cut and use your Graphic 45 paper.  Once you are able to do that this card comes together super easily.  I used Secret Garden Collection for this tutorial.


Here is what I used:

Recollections Kraft Corrigated Cards
12x12 Sheet of Sun Kissed
2 images from the 8x8 Springtime
3 images from the 12x12 Seed Fairy
1 image from the 8x8 May Flowers
2 images from the Secret Garden Stickers
4 inches of flat back pearl ribbon
1 cupcake size doily by Wilton
As desired Folk Art Acrylic white paint


Here is the cards I use. I almost always have my cards open from the side.  They stand up better this way.


I painted all the edges of the papers I wanted to use. You can use a paint brush if you feel more comfortable but I use just my finger tip.


I stitched the front and back papers to the card and stitched the off white 4x4 sheets of paper (from the back of your Secret Garden stack) to the inside papers.


I then use Zots and Mounting Squares to attach the inside pages to the Kraft base.


I then Glossy Accent the seed packets to the inside corners.



Then I begin to decorate the front (This photo is of the back before I signed it)  It is important to sign your work.  My husband says, "Would you rather have a card made by Tim Holtz, or have a card made and signed by Tim Holtz?"  When he puts it that way I see his point. 


I start by gluing the doily to the top corner, you can do this in any way you want.  The doily only peeks out the back to give dimension to the project.


I added a few layers making sure to spread them out.  It makes your card look fuller.


Next add the tag to the side.  Put your quote or saying top center by using pop dots or thickers.  I knew it needed something else.  My 11 year old daughter suggested bling, and of course she is right.  I dug through my stash of trims and found these stringed half back pearls.  They were perfect for the soft bling I was going for.



 The key to a great card is layers and textures:  Corrugated cards, great quality papers, distress (paint), overlapping and dimensionals (foam squares), and just a little bling to finish it off.

  









No comments:

Post a Comment