Thursday, April 4, 2013

Zipper Layout Tutorial 

French Country Graphic 45



I decided that I wanted to make a layout using the new French Country papers from Graphic 45.  I didn't have a plan I just knew I also wanted to use a photo from our last family photo shoot.  I began with a sheet of black cardstock.  I think it makes a great back ground or base and goes with this collection really well.


 I used one sheet of Grandeur paper and cut the center out.  I plan on covering up the center so I don't want to waste that paper.  I'll save it for another project.  

 I trimmed the edges so just a little smaller than the black cardstock.  I ruffed up the edges with my scissors.


I used my scissors to cut a strip out of the paper.  I will use this to add my zipper.


I hope you can see how I start the zipper.  As long as your zipper is longer than the slit your zipper will work perfectly if it is longer we will just trim off the extra once it is sewn to the paper.  I start by lining the zipper up at the top and sewing down along the zipper and then go across the zipper and then back up to the top of the paper.


Here is what it looks like with the zipper sewn in.  It is just fine that it looks bumpy it will smooth out just fine once glued in place.


I cut a sheet of Bonjour approx. 8x8 to cover the missing paper.  I distress the edges with my scissors and sew in down with my sewing machine.


I stitch the Grandeur paper to the black cardstock leaving the top portion open.  This is how it looks when you unzip the zipper.


I then choose my photo and frame it with Promenade.  I distress the edges with my scissors and by bending it upward.  I then back that with black cardstock.  


I cut a cupcake size doily and attach it with Glossy Accents to the back of the photo.  I unzip the page part of the way and add a tag from A La Carte with Glossy Accents.  I then attach the photo to the center with my sewing machine.


I have these great flowers that Karen B. sent me from California.  I cut this spray into two parts so that I can use it along both sides of my photo.


I attach the blue flowers with my hot glue gun making sure to tuck the stems just under the photo.  I add a charm (I distressed it with white paint) that Diane S. sent me in a RAK.


I pulled some additional flowers from my stash the blue ones are from Karen B. and the others I picked up at a Tuesday Morning Store in our area.


I added some vintage lace as well as some sticker lace from the sticker sheet to the bottom of the photo for some added layers.  I clustered the flowers along the bottom corners.  The white flower is also from Karen (not sure what brand).  I used the Tropical Travelogue Alpha Sheet to make the Family and year.  I attached them to cardboard and inked the edges with Vintage Photo Ranger.


What is great about the Graphic 45 papers is that the colors stay true from collection to collection and papers or embellishments from one collection often go with others.


I added the Bon Jour sticker to the top and also more of the lace sticker down the side.  I stuck the bee sticker on chipboard and then cut it out and then used my cropidile to punch the holes back into it and added jute.


I hope this is an easy tutorial for you.  It is just proof that you don't always have to have a plan in place to create a great layout.  I always start with the paper collection and then decide from there where to go.  You might be surprised at the adventure you might end up on.  Great music and your favorite drink and you can be lost in scrap heaven for hours.  Thanks for coming by to see my project.  I've got lots more on the way to Youtube this weekend so I can't wait to share those with you.  More French Country (Pictures already posted to my FB Page) and some Secret Garden as well.  Have a great weekend and hope that you get lots of great items created.


















No comments:

Post a Comment